Basketball broken down for the not-so-involved sports enthusiast
The majority of Hoosiers love basketball. Indiana natives live and breathe #IUBB; some students, like me, maybe even came to IU largely based on our basketball team. (Sorry mom and dad). But not everyone is up to date on the latest stats and recruits. Here’s everything you need to know for the 2015-2016 season.
- Freshmen: Thomas Bryant: Center; ranked 19th by ESPN; McDonald’s All-American player. Harrison Niego: Guard; Chicago Tribune Special Mention All-State. Juwan Morgan: Forward; ranked 98th nationally by Scout.com; nominated for McDonald’s All-American game. G. Anunoby: Forward; finalist for Mr. Basketball in Missouri.
- Transfers: Max Bielfeldt: Forward; University of Michigan; averaged 5.1 points. Nick Zeisloft: Guard; Illinois State; averaged 14.3 points. Ryan Burton: Forward; Bellarmine University; totaled 8 points. Josh Newkirk: Guard; University of Pittsburgh; posted 154 assists, 77 turnovers.
- Pre-season: ESPN college basketball-analysis ranked IU No. 14 for pre season.
- Non-returning players: Center, Jeremiah April. Forward, Emmitt Holt. Forward, Nate Ritchie. Guard, Stanford Robinson. Forward, Devin Davis. Forward, Hanner Mosquera-Perea. Forward, Max Hoetzel.
- Exhibition: With the preseason ending, exhibitions have been scheduled for the start of the season in November. Hoosiers will be playing Bellarmine University & the University of Ottowa (Canada). Head coach Tom Crean says, “these are the kind of games our team needs right now.” Both teams have outstanding basketball programs and will challenge our Hoosiers.
The regular season will start November 13th against Eastern Illinois in Assembly Hall.